Department of Education
The mission of the Department of Education at Northwest Nazarene University is to be a Christ-centered unit that develops capable, compassionate educators who are determined and prepared to meet the educational needs of young people in a changing world. This mission drives our work in undergraduate, graduate, and continuing education programs. It is articulated through the conceptual framework underpinning all education programs.
Rankings and Employment Preparation
Northwest Nazarene University's education degree programs are viewed by educators across the region as one of the best teacher preparation programs in the northwest. Because graduates are highly sought after by principals seeking to hire the best prepared teachers, our annual employment rate over the past five years is 100% among graduates seeking teaching jobs upon receiving their education degree. Here are a few other "fun facts" about the NNU education program:
- There are approximately 220 education majors or certification candidates at NNU studying elementary education or secondary education.
- Education is the second largest major at NNU.
- NNU's secondary education program is ranked 94% in the nation by the National Council of Teacher Quality(NCTQ) and is ranked #1 in Idaho Teacher Preparation Programs.
- NNU's elementary education program was ranked 16th in the nation by NCTQ in 2014.
- NNU is the only education program in Idaho to receive an "A" rating in both its elementary and secondary education programs from NCTQ in 2014.
- NNU's education program was named a 2015 Best Value School by Path to Teach in The Consumer Guide to Colleges of Education.
Accreditation and Approval
Northwest Nazarene University's education degree programs have maintained continuous accreditation through the National Council of Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) since 1967. NCATE is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation to accredit undergraduate and graduate programs for the preparation of teachers and other professional school personnel. The NCATE stamp of approval signifies that the program meets the highest standards of excellence. In addition, NNU's Education programs are approved by the State of Idaho.